5th INTERNACIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE SPANISH SOCIETY FOR THE LITERARY STUDY OF POPULAR CULTURE (SELICUP)
“MULTIDISCIPLINARY VIEWS ON POPULAR CULTURE”
University of Castilla-La Mancha, Toledo
25-27 October 2012
The Spanish Society for the Literary Study of Popular Culture (SELICUP) was born in an attempt to become a forum of scientific exchange among scholars and researchers in Spain and abroad sharing the enthusiasm for the study of popular culture. After the success of previous conferences in Seville, Palma de Mallorca, Cáceres and A Coruña, the University of Castilla-La Mancha takes over the organisation of the 5th SELICUP Conference in 2012. The conference intends to approach the study of popular culture from multidisciplinary perspectives. The city of Toledo, declared World Heritage by the UNESCO and a melting pot of Muslim, Jewish and Christian culture, is a privileged arena for the celebration of this academic meeting. For centuries, the city has gathered a heritage of architecture, art and culture which is unequalled, and which conference participants will have the opportunity to get to know and enjoy during the event. Without a doubt, those wishing to accompany us in the course of this academic event will be further motivated by their prospective visit to the numerous monuments and places of interest making of Toledo a unique world destination.
As on previous occasions, the conference programme will be developed in three days and will consist of plenary sessions, roundtables and parallel sessions of papers. We would like to invite SELICUP members, scholars interested in popular culture and literature, teachers from all levels, graduates in fields related to the conference and students to take part in the 5th SELICUP Conference, which we are certain that will be most enriching to all.
Among others, the following thematic areas will be prioritised at the conference:
- Theory and methods of analysis of the popular
- Popular culture and the new identities in the 21st century
- Theoretical frameworks for the study of popular culture
- Popular culture and popular ideology: analysis and problems
- Popular artistic manifestations: film, TV, painting, photography, music and the media
- Functions of popular literature and cultural studies
- Anthropology and sociology of the popular
- Intercultural analysis through the arts: literature, music and other cultural products
- Popular culture in the Global Age
- Interactions of Spanish literature with other European literatures
- Popular culture and language learning/teaching.
The conference oficial Languages are Spanish and English
For more information, please contact: